Each Christmas one of my signature moves is to fill my freezer with trays of this rose infused aromatic desert. Light, cool and creamy, it’s super simple and never fails to impress. It is so delicately scented and guests tell me it tastes like a fairy tale! My secret weapon, apart from using the best quality ingredients (formulation criteria 101, of course!) is a few drops of pure organic Moroccan rose absolute!
This elegant desert combines all of my favourite things; the tantalising scent of fresh roses, Turkish delight, Italian cooking, freshly made gelato and the best white chocolate. This would definitely be what you’d see me dining on for my last meal. So, secret no more…Here is the recipe that friends and family have been trying to pry out of me for years.
Let’s begin! For this delectable dessert, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 6 large organic eggs
- 600ml thickened cream
- A few table spoons of organic castor sugar (or stevia)
- 150grams of quality White Chocolate
- 100g quality Turkish Delight (cut into small cubes)
- 50 grams of blanched almond flakes (or pistachios)
- 50 grams of dried cranberries roughly chopped
- 5 drops of pure organic rose absolute (an essential oil)
- Rose petals and grated dark chocolate for garnishing
I like to start by prepping ingredients.
- Ensure your eggs are room temperature
- Chop the Turkish delight and cranberries
- Gently melt the white chocolate over a double boiler
I find it easier working with three large glass bowls
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites carefully into 2 large glass bowls
- Pour the cream into a third large glass bowl
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar (or stevia) until the pale, super creamy and have doubled in size.
- Beat the cream until thickened but not into butter (it’s a fine line but I think you’ve got this!). Once its whipped to perfection gently add the molten white chocolate and stir in gently.
- Now, add the egg yolk mix to the whipped cream and add the Turkish delight pieces, almonds, cranberries and rose essential oil*
- Beat the egg whites with a good pinch of salt until it forms super firm peaks.
- Add a large dollop of egg white to the cream mix and fold through gently. We want to keep as much air in the recipe so its super light. Keep adding the egg whites and fold gently until they are all added.
- Spoon into freezer trays and sprinkle with rose petals and dust with grated chocolate then freeze overnight.
- Just before serving, take the container out of the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften slightly …
a partially frozen Italian desert
To serve, scoop the semifreddo into individual bowls or glasses and garnish with dried rose petals and Voila! The rich, creamy texture of the semifreddo combined with the delicate, floral flavour of the rose is a truly magical experience. Your guests will be begging for the recipe, trust me!
It lasts for around 2 months in the freezer (pending on your will power) and super handy to have on hand for unexpected guests. Tis always the season for delicious desserts and never a time not to make a memorable impression on guests. Give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out.
Buona Apetito Amici! ❤️